Looks like Romney may have sealed his fate; speaking of the 47% of those people who don’t pay income tax, as those who in his words are “dependent on the government, and who don’t take responsibility for their own lives.”
Who are the 47% he speaks of? Romney describes those who don’t as those “who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you-name-it”.
Is this a fair assumption? Romney and those like him believe so; however, Obama disputed the premise of Romney’s remarks, saying, “There are not a lot of people out there who think they’re victims. There are not a lot of people who think they’re entitled to something.”
Obama stated that not only has Romney written off half of the country, be adds, “When I won in 2008, 47 percent of the American people voted for John McCain,” Obama said. “They didn’t vote for me, and what I said on election night was, even though you didn’t vote for me, I hear your voices, and I’m going to work as hard as I can to be your president.”
Not everyone can say they have worked for the people, Obama can.
- In leaked video, Romney says 47 percent of Americans are ‘dependent,’ feel ‘entitled’ (thegrio.com)
- Obama to Letterman On Romney Videos and Supporters: Not Many ‘Think They’re Victims’ (abcnews.go.com)
- Romney Explains Obama Voters (politicalwire.com)
- Romney video: 47% dependent on government (politico.com)
- Romney defends ‘off the cuff’ remarks on Obama backers as victims – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- Romney says 47% of US voters are “dependent” and will never vote for him (newstatesman.com)