It’s been a long time coming to stop the rampant drug use which devastates the public welfare system in Texas; and to thwart it Senate gives thumbs up for Drug Testing for Temporary Aid to Needy Families.
TANF, as the program is known became effective July 1, 1997 to replace Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program, which had been in effect since 1935.
The problem is not with the program itself; although many tax payers are of the mind that some are abusing the program and with good reason. As past years dictate, changes were brought forth by former President Bill Clinton who gave a time limit of 5 years for those who received the help. Notably, many who were eligible were thus so for years under old law.
According to statistics, the new more effective program, provides poor people with money for food, clothing, housing and other basic needs, distributes about $90 million to more than 100,000 Texans annually. The amount of the payment depends on family size and income.
One would be tempted to believe that the goal of the testing would be more concerned with people’s drug usage, rather than people not working. It is the premise that unless people can stop drug use they might not be fit to work. However, this is not the idea of the testing with regards to those who get aid.
According to a quote by Bill sponsor Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, stating, “”Taxpayer money should not be used to subsidize someone’s drug habit,” and she states further, “”We’re not only going to help them get off drugs, “We’re going to help them get a job.”
With this thought in mind; that is, many people on drugs will be homeless, hungry, and most certainly increased employment efforts.
Consequently, a brief glimpse at crime rise; as well as, more people entering treatment facilities and shelters across the region.
It could be really a taxing situation all around.
- Texas Senate Unanimously Votes to Drug Test Welfare Applicants (crooksandliars.com)
- Pee for pay: Texas Senate approves drug testing for welfare applicants (kens5.com)
- Texas Senate OKs drug testing for welfare applicants (star-telegram.com)
- Drug Test: Are You Ready? (jobs.answers.com)
- The Important Questions About Employee Drug Testing Laws (jobs.answers.com)
- Welfare drug testing bill moving to full Senate for vote (valleycentral.com)
- Texas Senate approves drug testing for welfare applicants (kvue.com)
- Drug testing for welfare recipients passes Texas State Senate (valleycentral.com)