Part 1: Prompts
For this assignment you will delve deep to develop understanding of the Europeans from the Modern Era to their claims in the western world which have led to global dissension. Discuss the powerful movements that transformed European society during the early modern era by generating a Mind Map. In the tool you may incorporate graphs and charts, videos, and/or use database research to develop your ideas and support your findings. Briefly describe the origins of each movement. For information to create a Mind Map Click here. To use the mind map tool you may create an account at Googledocs.com. Since there is so much work to gather you may choose a partner for the activity or choose to do the assignment alone.
In your map summarize each of the following by reviewing the timeline at: Essential Humanities.
1. Napoleonic War (1799-1815)
2. Pax Britannica (1815-1914)
3. World War I (1914-1918)
4. Interwar (1918-1939)
5. World War II (1939-1945)
6. Cold War (1945-1991)
7. Contemporary Era (1991-Present)
After watching: The Transatlantic Slave Trade: What did Lead to an African Anticipation? Trace the development of the slave trade. For the initial research you may draw from the internet to gather your sources and to answer the following questions:
1. Under what circumstances did the slave trade begin?
2. How did the Islamic Slave Trade change the existing system?
3. How did it change the again during the Transatlantic Slave Trade?
4. What impact did the slave trade have on Africa and the Western World?
Mandatory internet sites to gather information:
• The African Slave Trade and Middle Passage
• Organization of the Slave Trade, Africa
• Transatlantic Slave Trade
• The Transatlantic Slave Trade Voyages Database
• The Arab Muslim Slave Trade of the Africans—The Untold Story [See Related Articles Part: III].
The Emergence of Islam
America claims that the Nation of Islam, or rather the religion as a whole has much to do with global terrorism. After watching the video Islam: Empire of Faith [Documentary], in a narrated PowerPoint Presentation:
• Discuss the emergence of Islam. Who was the founder and what are the key beliefs of Islam?
• Compare it to other religions that existed at the time of its development.
• What elements are similar?
• What elements are unique to Islam?
• Trace the spread of the religion.
• How did it absorb other cultures?
• In turn, how did it influence others?
Also, in the PowerPoint presentation be sure to include visuals, graphics, charts, and other relevant content.